[users] Mail from list detected as Spam

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Wed Jan 24 20:56:50 CET 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:47, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> You base your logic that a reverse name lookup with 'adsl' in the
> name is SPAM. I am telling you that this generalisation of the
> definition SPAM is wrong. The example is this list.

No one is saying the mail is spam.  It is just getting caught up in the
ever-escalating spam war.  The fact is, there are 70+ million botted
Windows machines out there, many of them sending spam, and their
reverse DNS is the only easy way to spot them.  The (maybe) few tens of
thousands of non-bot servers sending legitimate mail from similar
addresses are inevitably going to get screwed in the process.

Greylisting works well enough for now, but when the spammers really
start to work around that, I wouldn't be surprised to see mass-blocking
of anything with what looks like a whole or partial IP address in the
reverse DNS.

If you look exactly like a bot, you're a lot more likely to be mistaken
for one.  Fixing your reverse DNS is one good way to differentiate
yourself from a bot and will prevent some mail delivery problems.

--
"When a politician says he wants you to serve a cause greater than your
own self-interest, the cause he has is mind is his own reelection."