[users] Package Request

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Thu Jul 19 00:40:40 CEST 2007

Hi Will,

> On 18/07/07, Todd Lyons <tlyons at ivenue.com> wrote:
> > A new logging service, rsyslog, just got pulled into Fedora 8.  Could
> > this be added to RPMForge?  I haven't tried to build it (yet), or
> > install it for that matter, so I'm not sure how much work it will be.
> > Its main feature that interests me is that it can log to mysql instead
> > of to a file.  I see that as useful :-)
>
> If it's of any help, Syslog-NG supports logging to a database.
>
> http://vermeer.org/docs/1
>
> http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/packagers/2005-August/000079.html

There are differences between syslog-ng and rsyslog, some features that favour
syslog-ng and some that favour rsyslog, however because rsyslog will be pulled
into Fedora 8, then Red Hat likely sees this as the future syslog server for
it's enterprise platform.

I'm on the rsyslog mailing list and the author does alot of work on it very
regularly, with a vision to it being the best syslog server available.

If you're using RHEL-based releases for the majority of your setups, then it
seems to me for the long-run, it's a wiser choice to get the rsyslog
infrastructure in place now instead of spending time on syslog-ng.

Regards,

Michael.