[suggest] perl-Apache-ASP RPM

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Fri Jun 29 05:24:14 CEST 2007

Hi Nico,

> Michael Mansour wrote:
> > Hi Dag,
> >
> > Can you help with any of the below?
> >
> > I really do need the perl-Apache-ASP installed just don't know the way forward
> > at the point since receiving the dependency problem below.
> >
> > Thanks. Appreciate any advice/help.
> >
> > Michael.
> >
> Oh, I believe you.

> Hmm.  This could be your issue: if you install and grab packages
> from alternat repositories, you can seriously screw up the
> dependency chains. Where did these packages come from? And do you

The packages above come from MailScanner (www.mailscanner.info), which I use
for scanning email. They aren't provided in a repo, since when installing
MailScanner it comes with src.rpm versions, and then you run install.sh and
that script goes through and recompiles the src.rpm's to binary rpm's and
installs them on the system.

The way the MailScanner install.sh script works is, if it finds the perl
modules already installed (from rpmforge f.e.) then it skips the src.rpm
recompiles and accepts the fact that the perl module is installed on the OS
and moves on in the install script.

I install many of the perl RPM's needed for MailScanner from rpmforge,
unfortunately even though I wish rpmforge carried the RPM's above, it doesn't
so MailScanner can't function with them.

I could try removing the RPM's above and temporarily disabling MailScanner if
you think this will make a difference to pulling down all the necessary
perl-Apache-ASP RPMs?

> have a "dag" repository, or a "rpmforge" repository. And have you

I have both (as of earlier in our discussions when trouble-shooting), as
supplied by SL:

# cat dag.repo
[dag]
name=DAG rpms
baseurl=http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/extra/dag/redhat/el4/en/$basearch/dag/

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/extra/dag/redhat/el4/en/$basearch/dag/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-dag

and as supplied by the rpmforge-release RPM:

# cat rpmforge.repo
# Name: RPMforge RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise 4 - dag
[rpmforge]
name = Red Hat Enterprise $releasever - RPMforge.net - dag
#baseurl = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/$basearch/dag
mirrorlist = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/mirrors-rpmforge
#mirrorlist = file:///etc/yum.repos.d/mirrors-rpmforge
enabled = 0
protect = 0
gpgkey = file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-dag
gpgcheck = 1

Enabling the rpmforge repo with an install of perl-Apache-ASP produced the
same problem as we've been discussing.

> done a "yum update --enablerepo=rpmforge" or "yum update --
> enablerepo=dag" lately? I'm wondering  if you've run into some sort
> of version skew between required packages, and out of date ones.

I haven't done that know, but checking what would be installed:

# yum --enablerepo=rpmforge check-update
Setting up repositories
rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 1.5 MB    00:19
rpmforge  : ################################################## 6470/6470
Added 20 new packages, deleted 0 old in 16.89 seconds

apt.i386                                 0.5.15lorg3.2-1.el4.rf rpmforge
ipw2200-firmware.noarch                  3.0-3.nodist.rf        rpmforge
kernel.i686                              2.6.9-55.0.2.EL        sl-errata
kernel-devel.i686                        2.6.9-55.0.2.EL        sl-errata
kernel-utils.i386                        1:2.4-13.1.99          sl-base
lftp.i386                                3.5.10-1.el4.rf        rpmforge
memtest86+.i386                          1.70-1.el4.rf          rpmforge
mtr.i386                                 2:0.72-1.el4.rf        rpmforge
perl-Filesys-Df.i386                     0.92-1.el4.rf          rpmforge
python-elementtree.i386                  1.2.6-7.el4.rf         rpmforge
sqlite-devel.i386                        3.1.2-3                sl-base
syslinux.i386                            3.51-1.el4.rf          rpmforge
xrestop.i386                             0.4-1.el4.rf           rpmforge

So there's not really much there supplied by rpmforge which would seem to
effect that.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated Nico.

Thanks.

Michael.