[users] Error trying to install mplayer

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jun 7 13:25:52 CEST 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Devin Henderson wrote:

> I was getting this error during yum update--it was attempting to update
> mplayer. I uninstalled mplayer so that yum update would finish without error
> but I still get the same error now trying to reinstall mplayer. For some
> reason it complains about missing libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 but the directfb
> package provides this file. What gives?! Thanks, Devin
>

> [root at six19 devin]# yum install mplayer*
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Reducing CentOS 5 - i386 - ATrpms to included packages only
> Finished
> Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise 5 - RPMforge.net - dag
> Finished
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package mplayerplug-in.i386 0:3.40-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> ---> Package mplayer-skins.noarch 0:1.8-1.nodist.rf set to be updated
> ---> Package mplayer.i386 0:1.0-0.35.rc1try2.el5.rf set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 for package: mplayer
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 is needed by package
> mplayer

This file is in the directfb-0.9.25 package. I have no clue why your Yum
does not satisfy that dependency. Maybe you have excluded directfb from
RPMforge ?

In that case, you are better of using smart which is much more intelligent
to cherry pick its dependencies (or allows you to make concise decisions).

Kind regards,