[users] udftools error on RHEL4

RPMForge Readers role.rpmforge at axoria.net
Wed Jun 27 13:22:05 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 23:31, Dag Wieers wrote:

> I think the tools require a scsi interface, not an ide interface. But
> I might be wrong.

Ahh... I hadn't even considered that. I'm sure I've seen something about
scsi loop to get a SCSI interface to SATA drives ... or was it an old
tape streamer or something?

> Small question, if you just want to access the UDF filesystem, why not
> just do:
>
> 	mount -t udf /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

Yes, I tried that first, actually...

    [root at host ~]# mount -t udf /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
    mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
           or too many mounted file systems

And just to check -- in fact, confirming that the UDF module is trying
to do its work, here's /var/log/messages...

Jun 24 23:38:23 host kernel: cdrom: hdc: mrw address space DMA selected
Jun 24 23:38:23 host kernel: UDF-fs: No fileset found

Just to mention -- I did put a DVD in the drive, long before installing
udftools, and I was able to simply mount that and read it, no problem.
Must have been some other filesystem or something. I don't have the disc
to hand to check.

I went and got the udftools when I couldn't mount this disc and after
testing in lots of machines, got it working in a borrowed Vista laptop
that said "UDF" so I went and searched on Google ... I already rely on
dag/rpmforge for ClamAV so I was able to quickly and easily up2date -u
to try out udftools. (There'll be a thank-you email and other stuff on
its way soon ... more on that elsewhere :))

> See the mount manpage for the options to udf.

Ah, now _that_ man-page I did not find. I don't think it's installed
with your package, is it?

        [root at host ~]# rpm -qd udftools
        /usr/share/doc/udftools-1.0.0b3/AUTHORS
        /usr/share/doc/udftools-1.0.0b3/COPYING
        /usr/share/doc/udftools-1.0.0b3/ChangeLog
        /usr/share/man/man1/cdrwtool.1.gz
        /usr/share/man/man8/mkudffs.8.gz
        /usr/share/man/man8/pktsetup.8.gz

Quick look at http://sourceforge.net/docman/index.php?group_id=295
revealed nothing either. I downloaded udf-0.9.8.tar.gz and looked in
there. Found a few options, but the few that could possibly help don't
seem to make any difference. Maybe the disc is actually broken...?

There's not another UDF package I need for udftools to work, is there?
It'd be a dependency if there was, wouldn't it?...

--
Best regards,
James.