[users] Error with tightvnc-server-1.3.9-1.el5.rf for RHEL5

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Thu Jun 28 07:06:57 CEST 2007

Hi Phusion,

> I was able to install the following packages on a RHEL5 computer.
>
> tightvnc-1.3.9-1.el5.rf
> tightvnc-server-1.3.9-1.el5.rf
>
> When I started the VNC service I got the following message.
>
> # sudo /sbin/service vncserver start
> Starting TightVNC remote administration daemon (Xvnc):1:root WARNING:
> initlog is deprecated and will be removed in a future release
> vncserver: The USER environment variable is not set.
> [FAILED]
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

You should never ever *EVER* run a vnc service as the root user. If it's ever
hacked through it's port, they have root privilege to your machine. Please
read docs on hardening your Linux box to give you an idea of why security is
important.

Login as a user of your linux box, run vncpasswd to create the session, then
modify your /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file to start the session as that user.

Regards,

Michael.