[users] Dropping the repotag

Andreas Rogge a.rogge at solvention.de
Thu Mar 15 23:02:57 CET 2007

Hi,
I don't feel that the repotags are any useful. They just make the names
for the rpms longer and longer. All information required is either
inside of the package (when it is installed) or it is in the path to the
package (if it is on a server) or apt or yum knows about it (because
everything is written down in the metadata).

You can always get the information you want out of the package database:
$ rpm -q --qf %{NAME}\\t%{VENDOR}\\t%{DISTRIBUTION}\\n rpmforge-release
rpmforge-release        Dag Apt Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/
Dag Apt Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4

This information is more than sufficient.

Maybe we should discuss what should actually go into the Distribution
and Vendor Tags. Maybe simply use "RPMForge" for %{VENDOR} and the
Distributor's original Distribution-Tag for %{DISTRIBUTION}.
i.e. make the command described above output the following:
rpmforge-release        RPMForge        CentOS-4

This doesn't make anything harder at all. RPM doesn't have real tools
available today that makes it easy to check where an RPM comes from. It
also misses decent methods to filter packages that match certain
criteria. Even if these methods existed a repotag is pointless, because
it is an unstructured information. It is even worse: Repotags are
written into %{RELEASE} and break things: foobar-1.0.0-1.rf is
considered an update to foobar-1.0.0-1.fr

As I already said, getting a list of all installed packages coming from
(for example) RPMForge is always a problem and it won't get any harder
if you drop the pointless repotag and instead use decent values for the
appropriate Tags. It will probably even become easier to gather
information, because the data you want is available in a structured
format and you don't have to find your way through the regex-hell then.

Regards,
Andreas
--
Solvention systems management