[users] Dropping the repotag

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Mar 18 03:21:23 CET 2007

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Andreas Rogge wrote:

> What if you could use for example "listrpms --vendor RPMForge" instead of
> "rpm -qa | grep rf" and get a 100% result without false-positives?

It will not tell you which nagios-2.8-4.el5 breaks a dependency chain. Was
it the one from EPEL or the one from RPMforge ? Both have the exact same
release.

yum doesn't say, you cannot query it because it is not installed. Hell,
since both have the same filename you won't even know by querying the
repositories.

This is not solvable unless you either improve yum to report all other
information (including keys and/or other tags), which still doesn't fix
all the other tools and is plain confusing. Or if you make the filename
more unique, which is what the repotag does.

BTW rpm -qa | grep '\.rf$' is pretty conclusive _if_ everybody follows
the same standard and you require packages to be signed.

BTW2 Dissing the repotag usefulness is like dissing the disttag
usefulness. It is as arbitrary, makes the release longer and is in essence
not required. Still it has its use.

Kind regards,