[users] Dropping the repotag

Andreas Rogge a.rogge at solvention.de
Sun Mar 18 14:11:23 CET 2007

First of all: yes, you're right.

But we will face this issue with EPEL. A repotag will not help to blame
EPEL when something breaks (they don't have one). It will only help to
blame RPMForge (as RPMforge has one).

I don't think repotags should be dropped because they suck. I just think
that they're a workaround for broken/incomplete tools and have been in
place for too long. Hell, neither rpm nor yum nor anything else actually
knows there is something like a repotag. They just display it because we
hijack the package signature.
People will need better tools anyway, because nobody will be able to
tell the difference between an EPEL and a base distro package. I think
yum should actually tell you vendor and distro on all packages.

We already had similar issues on x86_64 where you couldn't tell the
difference between i386 and x86_64 packages. Today yum reports every
package with its arch.
--
Solvention systems management
Egermannstr. 6-8