[users] relocateable packages

Neal A. Lucier nlucier at math.purdue.edu
Wed May 30 16:35:07 CEST 2007

I'm a little new to rpm and the various repositories out there for RHEL as I
have historically been a Solaris admin.  The two repos I have used extensively
are Fink and Blastwave.  Both of these repos build packages that install with a
prefix other than "/"; /sw, and /opt/csw/ respectively.  This feature is
extremely useful as I only install repos on the file server and share them via NFS.

 From the following two URLs I have gleaned that even if packages are created
with a prefix of "/" I should be able relocate them (if they are relocatable).

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-install-additional-options.html#S2-RPM-INSTALL-PREFIX

http://www.wideopen.com/archives/rpm-list/2001-December/msg00012.html

Which leads me to my question:  Are all the rpmforge packages created as
relocateable packages?  And if yes, is there an automated way to make all rpm's
installed via yum, apt, etc. relocate to say /opt/rpmforge?

I only examined the package kile-1.8-2.el4.rf.x86_64.rpm and it appears to not
be relocateable.

Thanks,
Neal