[users] repoview on Centos 5

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Nov 5 21:40:20 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Maulvi Bakar wrote:
>
> > I am having a bit trouble in getting the repoview to work.  I am using the
> > repoview from rpmforge, specifically the el5.  I've been getting "No yum
> > parsing routines found. Please see README." errors.  I am getting this error
> > when I'm configuring and running mrepo.
>
> I build the repoview 0.6.1 for EL5 now. The Fedora package seems to
> indicate it requires python 3.0 but the Fedora packages have never been a
> good indicator for requirements so I hope everything goes well :)

Ok, this will not work as 0.6.1 requires the sqlite metadata backend.

I do not understand what those Fedora python developers are thinking when
they add features and break compatibility. Fedora brought hell and misery
to our lives instead of paving the way for RHEL/CentOS.

Every other yum, createrepo or repoview release becomes incompatible with
whatever exists in datacenters.

To Fedora python people: stop using the latest and greatest python
features, add compatibility and please test your gear on EL3 before
releasing... Users do not want to run Fedora 8 to create a simple
repository (for Fedora 8). They want to be able to create repositories for
EL2, EL3, EL4 and EL5 on a single system that is not necessarily Fedora 8
(or EL5).

(If anyone is listening...)