[suggest] Stack of cpan2rpm Perl modules for submission

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Oct 8 02:42:17 CEST 2007

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:

> > > In itself the format is acceptable, but since we have our own script to
> > > generate perl SPEC files and since we maintain them in batch from time to
> > > time, I would prefer to have them in the format we are using for all the
> > > perl SPEC files.
> > >
> > > However, this will take some time to do :)
> > >

> > I just started to implement, but need your feedback.
> >
> > What is the point of the perl-Bundle-* packages ? I do not see how it is
> > supposed to work, and definitely see no need to have it in an RPM package.
>
> Oh, those are straight from the Bundle::[whatever] packages on CPAN. Those
> have been a popular way to pre-install lots of Perl dependencies for complex
> systems, such as Bugzilla, that are not themselves in CPAN, or for systems
> that require specific versions of modules rather than merely the latest and
> greatest, such as mod_perl 1.3. . I've actually been asked at work to try and
> put together a Bundle::Musicbrainz or something like it to get in all the
> dependencies for some of the Musicbrainz server software.
>
> Most of them are quite unnecessary these days, as packages like Bugzilla have
> had someone spend the time and work to assemble the .spec file dependencies
> and as rpmbuild is much better about reporting Perl module dependencies than
> it used to be (in my opinion).

Ok, I finished doing all of them and am generating metadata right now.
I'll push them to the mirrors tommorow. But are you sure this is
work-related ?

	perl-Games-EverQuest-LogLineParser

:)

Also, some of the RPM packages did not build and eg. the Bundles I simply
skipped as I do not see the point in having them. Once this is done I
would like to know which ones you are still missing.

Because the list I compiled from your URL had some overlap, and some of
the SPEC files you had do not exist in the CPAN directory (probably uses a
different name/module name). We have to go over each of these by hand and
import them.

Thanks, and I am waiting for your feedback,