[users] Clash of 2 SPF packages

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Oct 4 12:52:29 CEST 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Michael Mansour wrote:

>>> I'm not sure where you got this information from but it is completely
>>> incorrect. I use sa-update and do not require both the packages you're
>>> referring to, as a matter of fact, SpamAssassin themselves only advise you to
>>> use the perl-Mail-SPF (Mail::SPF) package since it follows the current
>>> reference implementation RFC 4408, which Mail::SPF::Query does not.
>>>
>>> You can visit the SpamAssassin website for those details.
>>>
>>> In summary, only install perl-Mail-SPF from rpmforge and do not install
>>> perl-Mail-SPF-Query.
>>
>> So sa-update as packaged in spamassassin is broken?
>
> Not at all, when you run:
>
> spamassassin -D --lint
>
> you'll see the same "require failed" message, yet that doesn't mean it's
> broken and it doesn't mean you have to install it.

In my vocabulary the words REQUIRE (in itself) and MUST (as in RFC usage)
specify something which is not optional.

If a program states a requirement for 2 mutaly exclusive modules then the
program is not correct. In fact the term broken applies here in my view.

If either of them does the job it should detect this and be content
instead of stating that a requirement failed.

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)