[users] No asterisk

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Oct 5 22:10:06 CEST 2007

--On Friday, August 03, 2007 2:05 AM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> I just tried "yum install asterisk" on CentOS 5 and yum can't find the
> package. It sees asterisk-sounds, but can't install that because of the
> dependency on the base asterisk package. I checked primary.xml.gz and
> don't see it in there. I also cleaned metadata just in case I was getting
> a stale cache.

Recent investigation suggests that the preferred package is CallWeaver (AKA
openpbx), a fork of Asterisk that's more community-oriented:

<http://www.callweaver.org/>
<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/OpenPBX.org%20FAQ>

I see that Fedora Development has RC2 openpbx but not yet RC5 (released
mid-September).

This looks like a good package suite to adapt and host on RPMForge for
non-Fedora distros. I'll try to assemble the suite and rebuild an RC5
package.