[users] fail2ban upgrade challenge

John Thomas gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com
Fri Apr 11 04:53:34 CEST 2008

John Thomas wrote:
> I don't know much.  I noticed the fail2ban.conf file has moved socket=
> /tmp/fail2ban.sock to /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.sock and
> /var/run/fail2ban/ does not exist.  I tried creating /var/run/fail2ban/,
> but that did not help.  I am guessing a permission issue, but don't know
> where to start.

I did a bit more digging and made some headway, I think the following works.

1. service fail2ban stop
2. yum update
3. mkdir /var/run/fail2ban
4. service fail2ban start

Also, I think there now an error in:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/fail2ban
the line:
rm -rf /tmp/fail2ban.sock # in case of unclean shutdown
should be:
rm -rf /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.sock # in case of unclean shutdown

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas