[users] k3b-0.12.17-1.el5 crashing my file system, please upgrade to 1.0.5

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 01:33:39 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Todd and Margo Chester
<ToddAndMargo at verizon.net> wrote:

> Because Sebastian fixed "a lot" of bugs.  (Probably not my bug)

This is exactly my point, and thank you for making it for me. You have
not tested the new version. So you want rpmforge to break from the
usual packaging methodology because CentOS already said they wouldn't
break their packaging methodology so that you could test an
application update without actually determining if it's in any way
related to your problem.

If you won't test it yourself, why should rpmforge build it and push
it for you, just in case MAYBE it addresses your issue? That's very
self-centered.

.
> He makes a great effort to keep up on things.  He has even sent
> me special test programs to work on an eject/inject problem
> I was having a while back.

Unrelated argument. Every software developer continues to improve on
their projects throughout the life of the project. If you want the
latest code released, then go use a distribution which is geared
toward that sort of thing like gentoo or Fedora 9.

> Take a trip over to http://k3b.org/ and you will see a list.
> For instance, in 1.0.5 he fixed the following:
>
>    * Fixed CD Copy device selection when starting from the KDE "run" dialog
> (Bug 151924)
>    * Fixed HAL mounting (thanks to Ken Milmore)
>    * Always wait for the drive to become ready before starting verification
> (this should fix some of the problems with failed verification where K3b
> claims that no medium is in the drive.)
>
> The version CentOS uses is so, so old, it is not even on his
> list of bugs.

Because it's what CentOS's upstream ships. If you want to change that,
buy an upstream license and then request the update as a paying
customer.

>> Have you tested to see that it does indeed fix your issue?
>>
>> Why are you certain that this is the culprit, as the centos5 version
>> has been working flawlessly for me for some time.
>
> That is actually good news.  My research is showing that my
> problem may actually be is bad interaction between the
> kernel's drivers interact and my Plextor SATA drive.
> (Sebastian has told me in the past that most of the
> hardware complaints he gets are about Plextor.)
>
> So, can we split this request into two separate subjects:
>
> 1)  An RPM for Sebastian's latest effort

Which exists. you were pointed to the source rpm in the bug you filed
on the centos side of the house. It was said there that CentOS would
not rebuild/update to the new version. This doesn't stop you from
doing it.

> 2)  kernel problems when cutting DVD's with a SATA drive.

This one also won't happen unless CentOS's upstream changes, so we're
back to you buying paid support for them, or helping to fix the issue
yourself and submitting the patches upstream for approval.

George Orwell