[users] k3b-0.12.17-1.el5 crashing my file system, please upgrade to 1.0.5

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 06:14:27 CEST 2008

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:

> If there are fixes for problems that affect the software that 'a
> prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor' is shipping, they tend
> to backport those fixes into the version they're shipping and release an
> update. And so those fixes also end up in CentOS. You might not see the
> version number increase, but problems are fixed. Also see this document:
> http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html In fact: this practice
> is a large part of what makes these enterprise Linux distributions
> 'enterprise'. Upgrading to a new version with new features probably also
> means upgrading to new bugs.
>
> Nils Breunese.

Hi All,

First off, it is official: K3B DID NOT cause my problem.  It is a
kernel SATA driver interaction with my (crappy) Plextor SATA drive.
I would like to thank every for their feedback.  I wasn't thinking
too straight after my second file system corruption.  Your
feedback helped straighten my thinking out and got me
on the correct path.

-T

Hi Nils,

I never knew the exact mechanisms involved in backporting.  Thank
you for the link.  CentOS's "use old tested stuff" usually works
very well, especially on the "server" side of things.  I have
several CentOS servers out there that are boiler plate.  The
only thing that affects them are power outages.  They are set
and forget reliable.  Awesome stuff.  (Just don't burn any DVD's
on them!)

On the workstation side, old stuff can be a plain in the neck at times,
such as having to download Firefox 2 from some guy in France
(CentOS 5 now supports FF3, finally).  Or, an old version of K3B
with door inject/eject problems.

 From that (backporting) link:

       The term 'backporting' is used to describe when we take a
       fix for a security flaw out of the most recent version
       of a software package, and apply that fix to an
       older version.

This means that K3B will only be backported only if a security
flaw is found and then only the security flaw.  Has the
definition been broadened to include general, non security,
bug fixes, such as Sebastian's (K3B) bug fixes?

If not, it would be nice to have an updated RPM.

-T