[suggest] request for multiple perl modules

Peter Willis pwillis at cbs.com
Sun Jun 22 16:31:32 CEST 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Peter Willis wrote:
>
>> I just started using rpmforge and it's minimized the packaging I need
>> to do by a great amount. However there are still some perl modules
>> which I need that rpmforge does not provide, so i'd like to ask if
>> they could be added to the list of maintained packages. The version
>> numbers might not be the absolute latest, they are from the cpan
>> modules list I downloaded 2 days ago but these versions should be
>> plenty new enough for me. An example URL to prepend to the tarball
>> paths: http://cpan.mirror.facebook.com/modules/by-authors/id/
>
> I have a tool (dar-perl.py) that creates a SPEC file. I now have
> created SPEC files and packages for most of these modules:
>

>> Apache::AuthenNIS                  0.13
>> S/SP/SPEEVES/Apache-AuthenNIS-0.13.tar.gz
>> Apache::AuthzNIS                   0.11
>> S/SP/SPEEVES/Apache-AuthzNIS-0.11.tar.gz
>> Apache::SubProcess                 0.03
>> D/DO/DOUGM/Apache-SubProcess-0.03.tar.gz
>> Business::PayPal                   0.02
>> M/MO/MOCK/Business-PayPal-0.02.tar.gz
>> CLASS                              1.00  M/MS/MSCHWERN/CLASS-1.00.tar.gz
>> Config::INI::Simple                0.02
>> K/KI/KIRSLE/Config-INI-Simple-0.02.tar.gz
>> GIFgraph                           1.20  M/MV/MVERB/GIFgraph-1.20.tar.gz
>> IniConf                            1.03  R/RB/RBOW/IniConf-1.03.tar.gz
>> Net::NIS                           0.43  E/ES/ESM/Net-NIS-0.43.tar.gz
>> Net::SFTP                          0.10
>> D/DB/DBROBINS/Net-SFTP-0.10.tar.gz
>> Net::SFTP::Foreign                 1.38
>> S/SA/SALVA/Net-SFTP-Foreign-1.38.tar.gz
>> Object::MultiType                  0.05
>> G/GM/GMPASSOS/Object-MultiType-0.05.tar.gz
>> Perl::Tidy                     20071205
>> S/SH/SHANCOCK/Perl-Tidy-20071205.tar.gz
>> Plagger                        0.007017
>> M/MI/MIYAGAWA/Plagger-0.7.17.tar.gz
>> Proc::PidUtil                      0.08
>> M/MI/MIKER/Proc-PidUtil-0.08.tar.gz
>> RTSP::Lite                          0.1
>> N/NA/NABESHIMA/RTSP-Lite-0.1.tar.gz
>> Template::Provider::Encoding       0.10
>> M/MI/MIYAGAWA/Template-Provider-Encoding-0.10.tar.gz
>> Term::Encoding                     0.02
>> M/MI/MIYAGAWA/Term-Encoding-0.02.tar.gz
>> Term::Size                          0.2  T/TI/TIMPX/Term-Size-0.2.tar.gz
>> Term::Visual                       0.08
>> L/LU/LUNARTEAR/Term-Visual-0.08.tar.gz
>> Text::Tags                         0.04
>> G/GL/GLASSER/Text-Tags-0.04.tar.gz
>> WWW::Curl                          4.00
>> S/SZ/SZBALINT/WWW-Curl-4.00.tar.gz
>> XML::Feed                          0.12
>> B/BT/BTROTT/XML-Feed-0.12.tar.gz
>> XML::Smart                     1.006009
>> G/GM/GMPASSOS/XML-Smart-1.6.9.tar.gz
>
> These are OK.

Nice! Thanks very much, that helps a lot.

>> CPANPLUS                           0.84  K/KA/KANE/CPANPLUS-0.84.tar.gz
>
> This one is a problematic one. CPANPLUS consists of a lot of modules
> that are provided independently, so in essence there should not be a
> need to have this one. We disabled it because offering CPANPLUS
> together with normal modules will have depsolvers pull CPANPLUS
> instead of the independent module packages. Unless I am mistaken, it
> should not be required ?

I think I included it because so many modules I have built before
required it, but it's not really necessary.
>> DBD::Oracle                        1.21
>> P/PY/PYTHIAN/DBD-Oracle-1.21.tar.gz
>
> I need to build your other package first.
>

>> XML::RSS::LibXML                 0.3002
>> D/DM/DMAKI/XML-RSS-LibXML-0.3002.tar.gz
>
> This one is a problem as it requires a newer perl-XML-LibXML than
> RHEL/CentOS ships. As it requires the XML::LibXML::XPathContext sub
> module. Not sure what I should do, add a newer XML::LibXML and expect
> everyone to have apt pinning or yum priorities installed.
>
> Feedback welcomed :)

Well... you could make a new package called "rf-perl-XML-LibXML" and
make it provide only "rf-perl-XML-LibXML = 1.66" (autoreqprov: no). Also
it should install everything into site_perl instead of vendor_perl. Then
you build perl-RSS-LibXML and have it depend on rf-perl-XML-LibXML.

The end result should be that by default you have a stock
perl-XML-LibXML, but if you want perl-XML-RSS-LibXML then it will
install rf-perl-XML-LibXML. You will have two copies of XML::LibXML, but
because of RHEL5's new patched @INC the site_perl has higher precedence
so XML::RSS::LibXML will use rf-perl-XML-LibXML's copy (and all older
modules will also use the newer module so they should be fine).

For RHEL4/CENTOS4 and older I don't think @INC is patched correctly from
red hat/centos, so this solution may not work for those OS's.