[users] Request for Package in RPMForge ... HylaFax++ ...

Dries Verachtert dries at ulyssis.org
Sun Jun 22 22:34:34 CEST 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 03:52:21 pm Todd Lyons wrote:

> >>  Would be nice for one of the maintainers to pickup ... Thanks ...
> >
> >I've added the hylafax spec file with only very minor changes. The spec
> > file is quite long but it's not complicated and easy to read and it seems
> > to build and install ok. Please note: i've no experience with faxservers
> > and i don't have a fax so no idea if it really works :-)
> >
> >Todd: what exactly did you change in your spec file?
>
> I have no idea how different my spec file is from the one in Fedora.
> The changes that I made were only to detect that a web front end for it
> called AvantFax exists and if it does to symlink a few files differently
> than normal.
>
> %post
> /sbin/ldconfig
> if [ "$1" = "1" ]; then
>     /sbin/chkconfig --add %{name}
> fi
> if [ -d %{avantfax} ]; then
>     ln -sf %{avantfax}/includes/faxcover.php %{_bindir}/faxcover
>     ln -sf %{avantfax}/includes/faxrcvd.php %{faxspool}/bin/faxrcvd
>     ln -sf %{avantfax}/includes/notify.php %{faxspool}/bin/notify
> else
>     ln -sf %{_bindir}/faxcover-%{version} %{_bindir}/faxcover
>     ln -sf %{faxspool}/bin/faxrcvd-%{version} %{faxspool}/bin/faxrcvd
>     ln -sf %{faxspool}/bin/notify-%{version} %{faxspool}/bin/notify
> fi

Hello Todd,
It's a bit difficult to add something like that to the rpmforge spec file i
think..  For example rpmverify will not like such an installed rpm because
the files are modified by scripts.

Are you sure the 3 lines after the 'else' are still needed? The current
hylafax spec file does not install files like %{_bindir}/faxcover-%{version}.

> I've attached the whole spec file to this email.
>
> Dries, I will send you my src rpm offlist.  The init files that I use
> also start and stop the faxgetty process, but that's just the way I
> chose to do it.  Lots of people prefer it to be handled by init
> directly.  In my case, I decided that it made little sense for faxgetty
> to be accepting the calls if there was no hylafax on the backend to
> handle it.  For public consumption, if you chose to use that in the
> RPMForge package, it would probably be best to add a sysconfig setting
> that turns on or off the handling of the faxgetty process (though I kind
> of consider it a hack to do it this way in the first place because
> nobody else seems to do it this way).

Your solution works without problems of course, but such a dependency seems to
be handled in a different way in other init scripts: i haven't used it myself
yet, but there's a "Required-Start" which can probably be used in a faxgetty
init script to indicate that it can only be started when hylafax is running.

kind regards,
Dries