[users] apt: pinning repos

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jun 24 19:07:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Arturo Diaz Rosemberg wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:24, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <
> Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
>
>> I want to use pinning with apt on centos5, but I can't figure out the
>> syntax. Most documentation is very debian-centric... I don't know what to
>> use to identify my repos: Archive, Component, Origin, Label...?
>
> I'm currently using Origin

>> Basically I want my package to always come from centos if centos has it;
>> otherwise if it's in rpmforge take it from there; and as a last resort get
>> it in arrfab's repo, epel or other 3rd party repos.
>> Does anybody have a working example of /etc/apt/preferences for this kind
>> of scenario?
>>

> I'm using only two repos: centos and rpmforge, my /etc/apt/preferences looks
> like this:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: origin apt.sw.be
> Pin-Priority: 400
>
> The default priority is 500 so apt will prefer any package from centos. You
> could add more repos the same way.

It is true that pinning is not properly explained and we should do better
to explain eg. that a priorities plugin for apt is basicly unnecessary
thank to pinning.

I would like to have the RPMforge website explain this, as well have a
seperate section for apt users on the CentOS wiki.

However pinning on origin is probably not the best way, since people may
use another mirror and not realise that the pinning stopped working. So a
good default would be very useful.