[users] Is there an easy way to temporarily disable a slow mirror?

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Wed Jun 25 18:55:31 CEST 2008

I'm running CentOS 5.2 and notice that I now have the yum-fastestmirror
plugin, which works great; except that most of the time, I get:

Determining fastest mirrors
 * rpmforge: mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca

For whatever reason, I get REALLY slow download rates from that
particular server.  Also, I frequently get checksum errors if I get the
repomd.xml file from that server, and then CTRL-C to get a different
(faster) mirror--the other mirrors don't seem to match the repomd.xml
from ucalgary.ca.

I've put an OUTPUT rule in iptables to block access to
mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca and that seems to workaround the problem, but
there must be an easier way--anyone know how to forcibly remove access
to one of the rpmforge mirrors?  Or trick the fastestmirror plugin to
not use a particular server?

thanks!
Greg