[users] apt: pinning repos

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Fri Jun 27 15:32:23 CEST 2008

Arturo Diaz Rosemberg wrote:
<snip>
> I'm using only two repos: centos and rpmforge, my /etc/apt/preferences
> looks like this:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: origin apt.sw.be
> Pin-Priority: 400
>
> The default priority is 500 so apt will prefer any package from centos.
> You could add more repos the same way.

Thanks Arturo!
this works for me, although as pointed out by Dag it means you have to
keep the mirrors in the sources.list.d/* files in sync with apt/preferences

Also, you have to use different mirrors for each repo

But it works! I've just clicked "Mark All Upgrades" and it upgraded my
self-rebuilt ddd rpm to the epel version without hosing my whole system,
synaptic didn't offer to "upgrade" half of my rpmforge rpms to the epel
versions

For the record I've copied my working apt/preferences below.
it also prevents synaptic always asking if it should upgrade
xscreensaver to gnome-screensaver, which had been annoying me for a while

If someone finds a way to Pin the repo itself instead of the mirror,
please tell me/us

Regards,
Nicolas

$ more /etc/apt/preferences
Explanation: #########################################
Explanation: Pin specific packages
Explanation:
Explanation: I prefer xscreensaver over gnome-screensaver
Package: xscreensaver
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: 1100

Explanation: #########################################
Explanation: set general repo priorities
Explanation:
Explanation: Centos base+updates+... comes from ircam
Package: *
Pin: origin mirrors.ircam.fr
Pin-Priority: 900

Explanation: Using fr2.rpmfind.net for rpmforge
Package: *
Pin: origin fr2.rpmfind.net
Pin-Priority: 600

Explanation: epel from mirror.switch.ch