[users] nvidia-x11-drv, CentOS 5.1->5.2

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Mon Jun 30 10:05:49 CEST 2008

Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
 > Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
 >> ... many people have been talking about on the centos list).
 >
 > Hi Nicholas,
 >
 >    Where were the talking about this problem over on
 > the centos list?  I would like to jump on the Cc: list
 > so I can follow its progress.  A search for "nvidia"
 > on centos's bugzilla only came up with some nvidia SATA
 > drive problems.  A search on the forums got similar
 > answers.

hi Todd

it's not on the centos bugzilla or forum, it's on the mailing list.

you can subscribe (although it's quite high traffic, so use filters) or
browse the archives here:

But the problem is pretty much well identified (as I described) and
solved: you can  either use dkms commands to properly rebuild and
install the nvidia kernel module for the new kernel (removing the
weak-updates version beforehand)
man dkms will be helphul here.
Below is an extract from my bash history, not sure if it's sufficient (I
may have had to manually
rm /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.6.el5/weak-updates/*
beforehand) but it might be useful.
dkms status
dkms build -m nvidia -v 173.08-1.beta.el5.rf -k 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5
dkms install -m nvidia -v 173.08-1.beta.el5.rf -k 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5
dkms status

The second solution would be to uninstall then reinstall the nvidia rpm
from rpmforge (not tried myself).

The third solution suggested on the centos list is to use the nvidia
driver provided on the nvidia site, although I think keeping everything
in rpm is cleaner.

Regards,
Nicolas