[users] apt.sw.be outage again

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Mar 25 17:06:43 CET 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Erik Wasser wrote:

> On Saturday 22 March 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> We should be back in production, if people see issues - please let us
>> know here.
>
> Mmmh... well... I don't know if my issue is connected to this mail but
> anyway.
>
> The main page "http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/links.php" reads:
>
>> Apt/Yum repository mirrors
>> http://apt.sw.be/, rsync://apt.sw.be/pub/freshrpms/pub/dag/
>
> I'm trying to confirm this:
> % rsync rsync://apt.sw.be/pub/freshrpms/pub/dag/
>
> @ERROR: Unknown module 'pub'
> rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
> main.c(1386) [receiver=2.6.9]
>
> It seems that the rsync daemon isn't doing it's work. Here's my next
> try:
> % rsync rsync://apt.sw.be/
>
> dl.atrpms.net   Contents of dl.atrpms.net
>
> It seems that there is no 'pub' module for rsync like the above error
> message stated.
>
> Does the adress changed recently?

HEAnet is down, for that reason we have put two different mirrors in
ronud-robin DNS and created an apt.sw.be vhost to continue our HTTP
service. The rsync service is down.

Since we don't have access to the rsync service on these systems, and
rsync is not "vhostable" (it works on IP basis), there will be no rsync
service for the time being (regardless of what rsync is already running).

If HEAnet comes back, we will resume apt.sw.be pointing to HEAnet and we
will gradually migrate off HEAnet. Likewise, we will ask our current
mirrors (and our future mirrors) to rsync from different servers under our
own control.

Kind regards,