[users] Re: glic 2.14

MargoAndTodd margoandtodd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 19:04:00 CEST 2008

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Bad manners are sometimes an indicator for bad software. As if folks
> were using their black spleen for coding instead of brains.

Do I ever concur on that one!

Speaking of manners, since everyone suffered with me
trying to solve this problem, it would be good manners
for me to tell everyone the resolution.

Originally, I could not get newer MP3 file I had created
with "grip" to play on Audacious or XMMS.  Most would
play in VLC and all would play with SMPlayer.

As it turns out "grip" was actually creating Vorbis
OGG files.  I still could not get them to play in
Audacious of XMMS.  I seemed to have all the necessary
plug-ins.  Very frustrating.

Then it occurred to me that it might all be in the "name",
specifically the "extension".  So I renamed all my new
.mp3's to .ogg.  Presto.  They play perfectly in XMMS.
And, the ones that did not work in VLC started working
as well.  (I do not know about Audacious, as I permanently
removed their code from my workstation: their developers
are too uncivil for me to vote for their product by using it.)

And XMMS is up to date as well.  Making sure their
stuff works on everyone's workstation shows foresight
on the part of XMMS's developers.

I appreciate everyones patience with me in this matter.
Now, I think I will go fishing.  (Well, after I fix a few
computers.)

-T