[users] New VLC very unstable

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Oct 8 16:25:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Robert wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>>  On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>>
>> >  Since the last update, I can't use VLC for watching videos anymore.
>> >  Crashes on me all the time.
>>
>>  ---
>>  This email is to inform you about the release of version '0.9.3' of 'VLC
>>  media player' through freshmeat.net. All URLs and other useful information
>>  can be found at
>>
>>  http://freshmeat.net/projects/vlc/
>>
>>  The changes in this release are as follows:
>>  This version shows various bugfixes, including DTS chapter order,
>>  audio-CD behavior, subtitles, and podcast fixes. It also fixes a few
>>  crashes in the PS, SSA, MKV, XSPF, and FreeType modules. The Mac OS X
>>  version shows a lot of improvements and regression fixes. The Qt
>>  interface shows a few modifications and bugfixes.
>>  ---
>>
>>  Maybe that will help. Let me see if I can build it.
>
> FWIW, I installed vlc-0.9.3-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm this morning using "yum update"
> and it looks good after having watched several captured Flash streams and a
> few minutes of a commercial DVD.

And if you, like me, had problems with vlc on one of your systems, I am
pleased to announce:

---
This email is to inform you about the release of version '0.9.4' of 'VLC
media player' through freshmeat.net. All URLs and other useful information
can be found at

     http://freshmeat.net/projects/vlc/

The changes in this release are as follows:
Crashes were fixed in the ogg, vobsub, and dvdread modules. Several
memory leaks were fixed. Apple machines without Quartz Extreme are no
longer supported (use 0.9.2 or earlier). In the Mac OS X port, a crash
with deletion of old preferences and the target name for downloaded
updates were fixed. Stability in the Windows port was fixed for the
video output. All the 0.9.3 fixes were ported to Windows.
---

So I guess the 0.9 branch is causing more problems than anticipated. Sadly
they do not maintain the 0.8 branch for security fixes so there is no real
solution other than to build newer packages when upstream releases.

0.9.4 is being pushed to the mirrors. It will be available tomorrow.