[users] Re: [CentOS] Yum Update issues

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Apr 29 12:12:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Ron Blizzard wrote:
>>  On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com
>>      I'm guessing I need to find the file that the function(?) that
>>      perl(Pod::ToDemo) is found.
>>
>>      rpm.pbone has a file called Perl-Pod-ToDemo, but it won't install,
>>      saying it needs Perl5 files -- so I tried reinstalling Perl, but it
>>      didn't help.
>>
>>      I'll keep Googling.
>>

>>  Got it. rpm.pbone.com <http://rpm.pbone.com> had a newer perl-Pod-ToDemo
>>  file then the one I had found earlier. I downloaded and installed that one
>>  and then "yum update" worked without issue.
>>
>>  Now I'm trying to figure out why the lack of a perl demo file would kill a
>>  perl update?
>
> perl-SDL-2.1.3-2.el5.rf.i386 has a dependency on perl(Pod::ToDemo) written in
> its spec file, so that dep must be fulfilled to install perl-SDL... rpm
> doesn't care whether it's a dep on a "perl demo" or a crucial component ;-)

You are correct that rpm does not care, however it is not written in its
SPEC file. This is one of the automatic dependencies and it is not as
trivial as it should be to filter out one or more automatic dependencies.

(The most simple solution is to remove whatever pulls the automatic
dependency, but that is not always desired either)

> This is a packaging problem at rpmforge. If perl-SDL is available in the repo
> and perl-Pod-ToDemo is not in centos, rpmforge should have it.
>
> Could someone at rpmforge try to build perl-Pod-ToDemo?

I did it immediately when I noticed it, but I missed the daily sync-window
yesterday. However today it should be working fine:

[root at moria ~]# apt-cache policy perl-Pod-ToDemo
perl-Pod-ToDemo:
   Installed: 1.01-1.el5.rf
   Candidate: 1.01-1.el5.rf
   Version Table:
  *** 1.01-1.el5.rf 0
         500 http://apt.sw.be redhat/el5/en/x86_64/rpmforge/
         100 RPM Database

Can you verify that this indeed is fixed ?

Sorry for the troubles...