[users] Re: [CentOS] Yum Update issues

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Wed Apr 29 13:36:10 CEST 2009

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>
>> Ron Blizzard wrote:
>>>  On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com
>>>      I'm guessing I need to find the file that the function(?) that
>>>      perl(Pod::ToDemo) is found.
>>>
>>>      rpm.pbone has a file called Perl-Pod-ToDemo, but it won't install,
>>>      saying it needs Perl5 files -- so I tried reinstalling Perl, but it
>>>      didn't help.
>>>
>>>      I'll keep Googling.
>>>

>>>  Got it. rpm.pbone.com <http://rpm.pbone.com> had a newer
>>> perl-Pod-ToDemo
>>>  file then the one I had found earlier. I downloaded and installed
>>> that one
>>>  and then "yum update" worked without issue.
>>>
>>>  Now I'm trying to figure out why the lack of a perl demo file would
>>> kill a
>>>  perl update?
>>
>> perl-SDL-2.1.3-2.el5.rf.i386 has a dependency on perl(Pod::ToDemo)
>> written in its spec file, so that dep must be fulfilled to install
>> perl-SDL... rpm doesn't care whether it's a dep on a "perl demo" or a
>> crucial component ;-)
>
> You are correct that rpm does not care, however it is not written in its
> SPEC file. This is one of the automatic dependencies and it is not as
> trivial as it should be to filter out one or more automatic dependencies.
>
> (The most simple solution is to remove whatever pulls the automatic
> dependency, but that is not always desired either)

thanks for the info, I didn't know about these automatic deps.

>> This is a packaging problem at rpmforge. If perl-SDL is available in
>> the repo and perl-Pod-ToDemo is not in centos, rpmforge should have it.
>>
>> Could someone at rpmforge try to build perl-Pod-ToDemo?
>
> I did it immediately when I noticed it, but I missed the daily
> sync-window yesterday. However today it should be working fine:
>
> [root at moria ~]# apt-cache policy perl-Pod-ToDemo
> perl-Pod-ToDemo:
>   Installed: 1.01-1.el5.rf
>   Candidate: 1.01-1.el5.rf
>   Version Table:
>  *** 1.01-1.el5.rf 0
>         500 http://apt.sw.be redhat/el5/en/x86_64/rpmforge/
>         100 RPM Database
>
> Can you verify that this indeed is fixed ?

I can confirm that perl-SDL-2.1.3-2.el5.rf.x86_64 installs now here,
pulling in perl-Pod-ToDemo-1.01-1.el5.rf.noarch .

Ray, could you see if it's fixed for you?
You might "rpm -e perl-SDL perl-Pod-ToDemo" then "yum install perl-SDL",
which should work now. This should replace whatever package version you
picked up on rpm.pbone with the new rpmforge perl-Pod-ToDemo.