[suggest] Missing Dependency perl-JSON-Any

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Thu Jun 11 23:17:20 CEST 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Christoph Maser wrote:

>> The module JSON::Any needs at least one of JSON, JSON::XS or
>> JSON::DWIW
>> to function. In its current state the RPM for perl-JSON-Any does not
>> have a dependency on any of those packages.
>>
>> Perhaps a dependency on the noarch JSON module would be appropriate?
>>

> Well that would be a solution but not a "correct" one. Consider
> someone
> using JSON::Any and explicitly want to have _only_ JSON::XS. With this
> solution you would force him to install JSON. Actually with the
> features
> RPM provides I don't see any "correct" solution to this.

1) in the scenario above, the user could write 'use JSON::Any
qw( XS );', which would limit his code to only using JSON::XS.  if
he's bound and determined to not have JSON installed on his system, he
can always do a `rpm -e --nodeps perl-JSON` after installing perl-JSON-
Any.

2) as an alternative, since rpmforge is packaging all of the modules
in question, another solution would be to add some distinctive string
(maybe 'perl-JSON-Any-alternative') as a Provides: for *all* of the
various rpmforge-packaged JSON alternatives (perl-JSON, perl-JSON-XS,
perl-JSON-DWIW, perl-YAML-Syck), and then add 'Requires: perl-JSON-Any-
alternative' to perl-JSON-Any.  this would at least prevent perl-JSON-
Any from being able to install in a broken state and make sure the
user is aware that it's essential to install at least one of the
supporting modules.

personally, i would prefer the first solution; perl-JSON is only
~344K, there's a programmatic workaround to make sure that it doesn't
get called by JSON::Any, and imo it's better not to ship a package
that installs in a nonfunctional state without emitting any error or
warning message.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v