[suggest] Missing Dependency perl-JSON-Any

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Fri Jun 12 09:41:18 CEST 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 11.06.2009, 23:17 +0200 schrieb Steve Huff:
> On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Christoph Maser wrote:
>
> >> The module JSON::Any needs at least one of JSON, JSON::XS or
> >> JSON::DWIW
> >> to function. In its current state the RPM for perl-JSON-Any does not
> >> have a dependency on any of those packages.
> >>
> >> Perhaps a dependency on the noarch JSON module would be appropriate?
> >>

> > Well that would be a solution but not a "correct" one. Consider
> > someone
> > using JSON::Any and explicitly want to have _only_ JSON::XS. With this
> > solution you would force him to install JSON. Actually with the
> > features
> > RPM provides I don't see any "correct" solution to this.
>

> 1) in the scenario above, the user could write 'use JSON::Any
> qw( XS );', which would limit his code to only using JSON::XS.  if
> he's bound and determined to not have JSON installed on his system, he
> can always do a `rpm -e --nodeps perl-JSON` after installing perl-JSON-
> Any.

I totally dislike this proposal. Using --nodeps is a no go. As is
installing packages which are not needed.

> 2) as an alternative, since rpmforge is packaging all of the modules
> in question, another solution would be to add some distinctive string
> (maybe 'perl-JSON-Any-alternative') as a Provides: for *all* of the
> various rpmforge-packaged JSON alternatives

Good idea. Much work. Who will notify us if there will be a new package
providing a valid JSON which could be used.

> personally, i would prefer the first solution; perl-JSON is only
> ~344K, there's a programmatic workaround to make sure that it doesn't
> get called by JSON::Any, and imo it's better not to ship a package
> that installs in a nonfunctional state without emitting any error or
> warning message.
>
> -steve

I don't share your opinion at all.

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach