[suggest] perl-DateTime numbering issue with "0.4305" release

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Tue Jun 16 23:35:59 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag, den 16.06.2009, 22:48 +0200 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> RPM version tracking is confused by numbers like '0.4305', and the
> "mock" utility for CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 doesn't properly detect
> perl-DateTime-0.4305 them as being more recent than 0.42. This is
> particularly confusing since Dave Rolsky, being a CPAN sort of guy,
> keeps changing his numbering scheme back and forth from "0.42" to
> "0.4305" and other four digit numbers, then back to 2 digits. This can
> seriously confuse careless version handling.
>
> With that in mind, can we publish Dave's bundles from now on with the
> version number *split* with a dot? So it comes out as a less confusing
> 'perl-DateTime-0.43.05-1.i386.rpm'?

I worked on a perl module with the same version number problem last
week. I solved that by appending zeros. eg cpan version 0.38, rpmforge
version 0.3800. In the future i will file bugs on cpan against modules
changing number of digits in version numbers. Other problems I
encountered is that version numbers inside the modules differ from the
version in the yaml file. Also CPAN perl interfaces report versions in
the form of 0.0.x as 0.000x. The last one is hopefully solvable by using
the CPAN-modules comparison functions. Currently there is still > 500
modules with CPAN versions differing from the version rpmforge has in
svn.

Chris.

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach