[users] Re: EPEL and RPMforge

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:48:18 CEST 2009

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 6-22-2009 1:30 PM Bram Mertens spake the following:
>> Hi
>>
>> First of all thank you for providing this repository.
>>
>> Today I was looking for packages for libmcrypt and found one both in
>> RPMforge and in EPEL.
>>
>> I haven't compared the source packages of EPEL and the one from
>> RPMforge but I suspect there will be only minor differences.
>>
>> So to me seems like a duplication of effort and resources that might
>> be invested better in other matters as I'm sure you will all have
>> limited time and resources.
>>
>> Are there any plans to cooperate with the maintainers of the EPEL
>> repository?  I read about the conflict with fedora.us and livna.org
>> but nohing about EPEL.  And my quick search in the archives of the
>> last couple of months did not reveal anything like this either.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Bram
> There was a lot of activity about just such cooperation. It basically came
> down to several incompatibilities in how the packages are maintained. Also
> rpmforge wanted to add repo tags on all rpm's so end users knew where a
> package came from easily, and EPEL wouldn't have anything to do with the idea.
>
> Just two different ideas on how to do things, and no middle ground was found
> to stand on.

Too bad, it is a shame to see precious resources wasted on duplication
like this.

You're talking about the .el5 used by EPEL and .el5.rf used by RPMforge
right?
Don't the Packager, Vendor and Build Host reveal this information?
Consider:
$ rpm -qpi libmcrypt-2.5.7-5.el5.i386.rpm
warning: libmcrypt-2.5.7-5.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID 217521f6
Name        : libmcrypt                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.5.7                             Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 5.el5                         Build Date: Fri 20 Jul 2007
01:22:00 AM CEST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
hammer2.fedora.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
libmcrypt-2.5.7-5.el5.src.rpm
Size        : 312812                           License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 23 Jul 2007 09:45:37 AM CEST, Key ID
119cc036217521f6
Packager    : Fedora Project <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://mcrypt.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : Encryption algorithms library
Description :
Libmcrypt is a thread-safe library providing a uniform interface
to access several block and stream encryption algorithms.

$ rpm -qpi libmcrypt-2.5.7-1.2.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm
warning: libmcrypt-2.5.7-1.2.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6
Name        : libmcrypt                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.5.7                             Vendor: Dag Apt
Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/
Release     : 1.2.el5.rf                    Build Date: Mon 05 Mar 2007
09:20:48 PM CET
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
lisse.leuven.wieers.com
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
libmcrypt-2.5.7-1.2.el5.rf.src.rpm
Size        : 596409                           License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 06 Mar 2007 07:41:52 PM CET, Key ID
a20e52146b8d79e6
Packager    : Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>
URL         : http://mcrypt.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : Data encryption library
Description :
libmcrypt is a data encryption library. The library is thread safe
and provides encryption and decryption functions. This version of the
library supports many encryption algorithms and encryption modes. Some
algorithms which are supported:
SERPENT, RIJNDAEL, 3DES, GOST, SAFER+, CAST-256, RC2, XTEA, 3WAY,
TWOFISH, BLOWFISH, ARCFOUR, WAKE and more.

Not that I'm trying to convince anybody to change their policy/way of
working. I'm just trying to understand.

Kind regards

Bram