[suggest] GPU driver test.

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon May 25 18:32:44 CEST 2009

On Mon, 25 May 2009, Jason wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 May 2009, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>
>>  The dkms-nvidia-x11-drv-180.51-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm
>>>>

>>> Would there be a 32b rpm as well for this? I'd be willing to test it.
>>>

>> THere is an i386 package available (and if all is well, it should be in the
>> default repository), and there is also a -32bit x86_64 package that contains
>> the 32bit libraries and tools for x86_64 (since both dkms packags cannot
>> coexist).
>>
>> More feedback is welcome.

> Here are my findings. They are limited to one system.
>
> Video card used for testing GeForce 7900GTX.
>
> 2.6.18-128.el5PAE i386  Kernel. This is the default kernel an user would
> have after installing Centos 5.3. The nvidia dkms install would not build
> against this Kernel.
>
> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5PAE i386 This is the Kernel an user would have after
> updating their Centos 5.3 install, and the nvidia dkms install would not
> build against this Kernel either.
>
> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 non PAE Kernel. This kernel is available in the Centos
> repo, and the nvidia dkms install did build against this Kernel.
>
> As noted earlier the x86_64 Kernel worked with out issue.
>
> So it would seem the only standing issue, is that the dkms nvidia package
> will not build against a PAE kernel.
>
> For now I would have to adivse users wanting run 32bit, and nvidia to do so
> on systems with less than four gigabytes of ram, as running a non PAE kernel
> will lead to some ram not being used, and a PAE kernel causing the nvidia
> dkms install not to work.

Jason,

This is very interesting, since I saw that elrepo did succeed in building
kmod packages for 32bit PAE of the exact same version. So I was wondering
if you may be missing the kernel-PAE-devel package or something causing
the build to fail.

Normally you can find the reason for failed dkms builds somewhere inside
/var/lib/dkms, maybe easiest to do a:

 	find /var/lib/dkms -name make.log

Thanks in advance,