[users] subversion 1.5 for EL4 and EL5?

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Tue May 12 09:23:03 CEST 2009

Christoph Maser wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 06.05.2009, 20:01 +0200 schrieb Greg Bailey:
>
>> That's correct; I should have been more clear in my original e-mail.
>>
>> I took the subversion 1.5.6-0.2.rf source RPM and patched the specfile
>> to pull in sqlite 3.6.13.  (I could have also just used
>> sqlite-amalgamation from subversion-deps-1.6.1.tar.bz2).  I had to
>> remove the patches for pie and rpath, presumably due to some change in
>> subversion 1.6.1 vs. 1.5.2.  My patch for the specfile appears below.
>>
>> I was also able to build subversion 1.6.1 by starting with Fedora 11's
>> development src RPM and including sqlite-amalgamation and a few other
>> minor modifications, like not being so specific on the required apr and
>> apr-util versions.  The Fedora 11 SRPM has the pie and rpath patches
>> still applied and builds, so perhaps that could be used as a reference.
>>
>> Another potential source for subversion 1.6.1 RPMs (for comparison
>> purposes) is at:
>>
>> http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/1.6.1/
>>
>> but those RPMs upgrade core RPMs like sqlite, which I'm able to avoid
>> doing (at least on RHEL5) by using sqlite-amalgamation in the subversion
>> build.
>>

> Ok now you talk about EL5? Since 1.6 on EL4 seems like not really worth
> looking at unless someone has python24:
>
> DEBUG: [...python build errors...]
>

> But also subversion 1.5 for EL4 is a problem:
>
> [...neon build errors...]
>
> So looks like neon from EL4 is not suitable to compile this one.
>
> Chris

Regarding Subversion 1.6.2 on CentOS 4:

Extending the idea of embedding required dependencies in the subversion
source tree, I'm able to build Subversion 1.6.2 on CentOS 4 that doesn't
require any external development RPMs to be installed first, and doesn't
require the user to upgrade apr, neon, sqlite, etc.  The only ugly part
is that I included python 2.4.6 in the source RPM, and it is built
before the rest of subversion (but only affects the source RPM).

I've made test RPMs available at:
http://lxpro.com/subversion/el4/RPMS/

I'm attaching the patch to the subversion .spec file below.

thanks,
Greg