[users] Patches for gnash x86_64 and Mozilla plug-in

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed May 13 05:14:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

I saw that Gnash was not available for x86_64 in RPMforge and I digged
deeper to try to find why. I came up with a patch to build it.

The gnash-x86_64.patch adds the following changes:
1. Change /lib to /l[i]b in configure where looking for boost code.
This will avoid it being replaced by /lib64 later. In that case, /lib
was being used as the prefix for libraries and not as directory name.
(I know it's a hack, but it works...)
2. Include <feature.h> before Boost's endian.hpp. That is needed
because Boost's endian.hpp will use system's endian.h only if
__GLIBC__ is defined, which is done in feature.h. It would recognize
the arch otherwise, but its list does includes only __i386 and not the
one for 64-bit...

The changes to the specfile includes using the patch above, some
packages that were needed to build it (qt-devel, gstreamer-devel,
giflib-devel and mysql-devel), and running make install-plugin (before
the patch the mozilla-gnash package had only directories and not the
real plug-in .so file).

After that, I could successfully build it in my CentOS 5.3 x86_64
desktop, and use it in Firefox.

Unfortunately I was not able to use it to, for instance, watch a movie
at youtube.com. First try, no audio, no video. After installing
gstreamer-plugins-bad and gstreamer-plugins-ugly, I got audio, but no
video. It was still complaining that gstreamer-ffmpeg still had to be
installed. Any chance such package could be built and installed in
RPMforge?

Unfortunately Flash 10 for Linux x86_64 is also unstable for me. It
was working fine, then I uninstalled it to test the Gnash package I
just built, then when I uninstalled Gnash and reinstalled Flash 10 64
it no longer worked (segmentation faults...). I tried removing
~/.macromedia and restarting X, but no luck... I had to go back to
nspluginwrapper + Flash 9 from RPMforge which seems to be the most
stable setting for me right now...

HTH,
Filipe