[suggest] Re: suggest Digest, Vol 53, Issue 1

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Wed Nov 4 09:33:26 CET 2009

Am Dienstag, den 03.11.2009, 13:35 +0100 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> > From: Christoph Maser <cmr at financial.com>
> > Subject: Re: [suggest] cfengine 3.0 ?
> >
> > Am Montag, den 02.11.2009, 20:18 +0100 schrieb Bjarne Saltbaek:
> >> And here is a diff against
> >> http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/cfengine/cfengine3.spec :
> >

> > Thanks, will apply check it...
>
> Careful: When I tried personally updating to cfengine 3.x last summer,
> I found the format different enough to be incompatible with my
> existing CFengine layout. And since CFengine is used to edit system
> files, it's important to be *really careful* updating it.
>
> Perhaps it should be released as 'cfengine3' at RPMforge? This would
> have prevented some of the problems I had with other packages, like
> Nagios, when it updated as well.

I really don't like those renamed packages like apache2 and cfengine3,
they add extra code in the spec file and the name is just wrong. Maybe
there is another sane way to specify "do not upgrade from version <= 3"
in the specfile? Negative requires?

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach