[suggest] Re: suggest Digest, Vol 53, Issue 2

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Wed Nov 4 16:52:35 CET 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 04.11.2009, 15:06 +0100 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> > From: Christoph Maser <cmr at financial.com>
> > Subject: Re: [suggest] Re: suggest Digest, Vol 53, Issue 1
> >>
> >> Perhaps it should be released as 'cfengine3' at RPMforge? This would
> >> have prevented some of the problems I had with other packages, like
> >> Nagios, when it updated as well.
> >

> > I really don't like those renamed packages like apache2 and cfengine3,
> > they add extra code in the spec file and the name is just wrong. Maybe
> > there is another sane way to specify "do not upgrade from version <= 3"
> > in the specfile? Negative requires?
>
> I understand your concern, but this is a familiar problem with
> packages like apache (which was renamed httpd as part of the switch to
> the new 2.0 codebase) and mod_perl (whose naming conventions and
> compatibilities and dependencies became insane before the 2.x release
> because of its links to apache), and sqlite, and Berkeley db
> (published as db2, db3, db4, etc.), and openssl libraries which are
> publiahsed as openssl097, openssl096, etc. because they're not
> backwards compatible and upgrading a live system will *break* it,
> really seriously. In theory, a "yum update" should provide safe
> updates and leave you a working system. Breaking CFengine under people
> who rely on it for broadly based systems management, especially for
> systems that are not RPM based, would be.... well, it would

Well this raises the question if rpmforge is a distribution. Most if not
all users think it is while I think currently its just a loose
collection of RPMS. So the user expects "yum update" to do the right
thing while I know it won't.

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach