[users] synaptic pam config still broken on x86_64

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Mon Nov 9 17:46:14 CET 2009

Hi,

synaptic authentication via pam is broken on x86_64. For example if as a
regular user you type "synaptic" in a terminal, you get "unknown error"
and synaptic fails to start, whereas on an i386 machine a window asks
for the root password and synaptic launches upon success.
I suspect (but haven't tested) that this bug is not visible if you have
the i386 pam packages installed on your x86_64, but this should not be
necessary.

The problem is that /etc/pam.d/synaptic has hard-coded lib/security/*
paths, which should be lib64/security on x86_64 systems.
a year ago I had submitted 2 patches for the synaptic rpm, which are
trivial and both solve the issue.
I installed a new laptop today (centos 5) and found out that neither of
the patches had been applied and synaptic authentication is still broken.

http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/users/2008-September/001788.html

Could one of these patches please be applied?
Or is there a reason that they can't be, eg do they break things on
centos 4?

Regards,
Nicolas