[users] Does the list work?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Apr 7 13:59:45 CEST 2010

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Dries Verachtert wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev<yury at shurup.com> wrote:

>>> the spam uses email' addys of people who are subscribed to the list :)
>>
>> Ah, I see, I'm sorry for misidentifying the problem. Well, then defer
>> anything except the autogenerated messages by svn.rpmforge.net (local
>> traffic) sounds like a good idea to me. Please please do :-)
>>
>> I'd really like to watch the commits lists, but I'm already getting too
>> much spam for my Bayesian filter to cope with.
>
> First i don't know much about mailman, i've just been searching in
> their FAQs and docs :-)
>
> Please have a look at
> http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030685   (the
> paragraph "How to post to the announcement list:")  and maybe also
> http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030556
> I guess we could use this for the svn-commits list: no one is allowed
> to post to this list (everyone gets moderated) and we change the
> hooks/commit-email.pl of the subversion repository so it adds this
> 'Approved:' header with a password. The drawbacks: the script needs to
> contain the mailman password and if you want to reply to an svn commit
> mail, then you'll have to forward this to the packagers list.
>
> What do you think?
> Karanbir: you think we could use such a solution on the mailman server?

Dries hinted this message to me and I have implemented this.

I also implemented svn-mailer with proper From-addresses, set up viewvc
(as it used to be) and recreated the svn-commits archive after I removed
all the SPAM.

So now we get proper commits coming from the commiter, if you reply you
put the packagers-list and the original commiter in copy. The commits now
include a URL to ViewVC. Exactly how I configure it for my customers.