[suggest] nagios-3.2.1-5.el4.rf.i386.rpm pid path problem

Christoph Maser cmaser at gmx.de
Wed Aug 18 08:49:17 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, den 17.08.2010, 16:14 -0700 schrieb Mark D. Nagel:
> The path to nagios.pid was changed from /var/run/nagios.pid to
> /var/nagios/nagios.pid between the 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 RPM release.  This
> would be fine if the killproc function from /etc/init.d/functions in EL4
> supported the -p flag as used in the init script, but this is not
> available in EL4.  Thus, using the init script to restart or stop in EL4
> is broken, generating all manner of errors due to invalid calls to pidof
> and such.  Seems like the simplest fix would be to revert to the 3.2.0
> init script for EL4, which works just fine, or keep the new script but
> place the pid file back into /var/run for EL4.  The alternative would be
> to roll your own replacement for killproc that behaves like the EL5
> killproc.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Mark

thank you for reporting. The reason why i switched the pid location is
that at startup i now use --user in the daemon-function. So now the pid
file must be in a location where nagios can create it. I did change the
startup call to use --daemon to make things more robust since there is
some error in nagios drop-privilege code.
I will rethink the whole thing.

+C