[users] drbd83 still in testing

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Aug 10 16:09:24 CEST 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>> Just curious : are there any reasons why it would have to compete with
>> the packages from CentOS Extras ? and what are the differences (if any)
>> between those two packages ?
>
> It doesn't, but I asked for the outdated packages that were not being
> maintained to be removed in CentOS repo. Dag decided to build new packages
> which then inspired the CentOS packages to be resurrected.

Additionally, as already explained, the goal of the ELRepo project is to
increase the functionality of the RHEL kernel by providing kernel modules
for broader hardware support and additional features. It makes sense that
some users look for those packages in ELRepo (likely outside the scope of
CentOS).

As far as I know there are no real differences between the packages,
although the drbd83 package is renamed to drbd83-utils (iirc) and the
ELRepo project does not provide RHEL4 packages. They should be drop-in
replacable.