[users] Multimedia updates for RHEL6, RHEL5, RHEL4...

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Dec 5 13:00:03 CET 2010

Hi,

As has been discussed here before, I was planning for this for RHEL6. The
fallout of the changes have not been as big as expected, but there are
still some packages that may conflict with the updates.

Please report them here.

In some cases support has been dropped to make compilation possible. One
of the bigger unsupported items is directfb. No packages should depend on
directfb at the moment, with some more effort we could have retained
directfb support, but I don't think it is worth all the troubles.

Also x264 support has been removed from gstreamer-plugins-bad for RHEL5
because it is no longer compatible. It's not impossible to patch it back
in if people want to look at it.

Also, the support that has been dropped is now visible from the
_without_something macros. Anyone with some free time can look what
support is missing from eg. xine-lib or vlc for their distribution and
can investigate what is needed to add it.

Not only some support has been dropped, but new support and new libraries
have been added (notably schroedinger), a newer mplayer is now
available too for RHEL6, RHEL5 and RHEL4.

Known problems:

  - vlc on RHEL5 and RHEL4 (being rebuilt right now)
  - k3b-extras (need a rebuild against newer ffmpeg)
  - ...

Feedback is needed !