[users] Possible brower plugins for QuickTime, DivX, etc. solution

Ben bda20+rpmforge at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 10 13:42:03 CET 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Dag wrote:

> mplayerplug-in doesn't build anymore on RHEL6. But wasn't the
> mplayerplug-in project replaced by a newer project ? I looked at it once,
> but it couldn't be compiled on RHEL5. However I cannot find the info on
> the website.

I've just tried installing the RHEL5 RPM mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.el5.rf.x86_64
on RHEL6 and (perhaps unsurprisingly) all seems well.  No errors on
installation, and a whole host of QuickTime sites now work correctly
(including Apple's QuickTime trailers site, in conjunction with User Agent
Switcher).

What was it about mplayerplug-in which doesn't build on RHEL6?  I believe
the followup project was probably "gecko-mediaplayer".

I downloaded the source gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.0.tar.gz from
http://code.google.com/p/gecko-mediaplayer/downloads/list and was able to
build it under both RHEL5 and RHEL6.  I installed (after building) on RHEL6
and while handler plugin stuff showed up in about:plugins I couldn't get any
media to work and the container for the plugin would crash.  This might be
something to do with the version of mplayer that gecko-mediaplayer was
trying to use (RPMforge's latest) or something else entirely.  That's beyond
my skill level I'm afraid.

Is there anything you would like me to do (with my limited skills) to help
move either mplayerplug-in or gecko-mediaplayer on for RHEL6?

I'll address MP3 playback (xmms-mp3?) another time (-:

Thanks, as always, for everyone at RPMforge's work,

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.