[users] perl-Encode error

Mon Dec 13 18:31:05 CET 2010

> RT is indeed difficult to install under RHEL, especially recent versions; honestly, if you can, you may want to wait until CentOS 6 is out.

Unfortunately I can't wait too long, but what is special about CentOS 6
in regards to my specific problem?

> installing from CPAN is a bad idea; don't do that.
In terms of Redhat specific advice, I have been told to:

1. Never mix packages and CPAN, use only one or the other
2. RT people say: Why would you trust some third-party packages? Compile
it yourself!
3. Redhat people say: never use CPAN, only use packages, however it
appears they are slightly broken in this case.

What do real people do to install RT on CentOS? It seems they all ignore
the first advice and just mix CPAN and packages (see [1] and [2]). I
guess there is no other way to really do it. Oh, and they ALL turn OFF
SELinux straight away which is another thing you are NOT supposed to do.

[1] - http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/CentOS5InstallPlusSome
[2] - http://www.ptitov.net/2008/07/request-tracker-installation-o.html