[users] perl-Encode error

William J. Horka whorka at hmdc.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 13 21:15:48 CET 2010

Steve Huff wrote:

> at my day job we install RT entirely via RPMs, clobbering upstream packages where necessary.

It's true. If you want to look at our spec file, it's in
http://mirror.hmdc.harvard.edu/HMDC-RT/el5/SRPMS/rt-3.8.8-1.HMDC.RHEL5.src.rpm
.

Please do note that this build has been customized for our environment,
so I wouldn't recommend using it as-is, but it can provide you with a
starting point for packaging RT.

Basically, to gather the list of requirements, all I did was unpack the
RT source, do a ./configure, and then run "make testdeps" through sed:

make testdeps |grep -v "Can't locate" \
   |sed -r -e '/^SOME DEPENDENCIES WERE MISSING/,$d' \
        -e 's/ \.\.\.found$//' -e 's/ \.\.\.MISSING$//' \
        -e '/^[A-Za-z]/s/^/### /' \
        -e 's/^[[:space:]]([^[:space:]]+)/perl(\1)/' >alldeps.txt

After building that into an RPM and enabling the RPMforge repo, yum was
able to resolve all but 6 dependencies for RT 3.8.8.

Four of the dependency packages will not install cleanly on RHEL/CentOS5
via yum due to the fact that they conflict with files owned by the
upstream perl package. They must be downloaded manually and installed
with --force. They will also need to be reinstalled after each
subsequent update to the upstream perl package.
   perl-File-Temp
   perl-Sys-Syslog
   perl-Encode
   perl-CGI

Two of the dependency packages will not install due to dependency
resolution issues. They must be downloaded and installed manually, but
updates can occur normally:
   perl-FCGI
   perl-Any-Moose

e.g.
# yumdownloader perl-File-Temp perl-Sys-Syslog \
     perl-Encode perl-CGI perl-FCGI perl-Any-Moose
# rpm -Uvh --force perl-File-Temp-*.rpm perl-Sys-Syslog-*.rpm \
     perl-Encode-*.rpm perl-CGI-*.rpm perl-FCGI-*.rpm \
     perl-Any-Moose-*.rpm

All of the above can be found in RPMforge.

Regards,
      -Bill

--
William Horka