[suggest] Re: suggest Digest, Vol 56, Issue 11

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:25:46 CET 2010

> From: "Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury at shurup.com>
> Subject: Re: [suggest] ganglia and libconfuse

> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 18:49 -0700, Eric Shubert wrote:
>
>> I attempted to build the latest version on CentOS4.8, but the latest
>> ganglia also requires apr-1, and CentOS4 has apr-0, so I'm guessing that
>> the latest ganglia simply isn't going to work on COS4, at least not
>> easily enough for me.
>
> I guess not until you build it statically (see filezilla and rtorrent
> SPECs for an example).
>
> --
> Sincerely yours,
> Yury V. Zaytsev

There are any number of packages that haven't been ported back to
CentOS 4, and RHEL 4, becasue they would overlap system provided
packages on that OS or other difficulties, or which are currently only
provided for RHEL 5. Subversioin, for example, has some nasty
dependencies on mor current Python and some bugs in the RHEL 4 version
for x86_64 (so it's available in RPMforge on version 1.6.6 for RHEL 5,
not for RHEL  and CentOS 4).

But it's exactly work like this that gets these packages available for
CentOS 4. Now, personally? I've given up on CentOS 4. Since RHEL 5 is
now over 3 years old, and the dependiencies for too many other
projects rely on too many updates, it's just not *worth* my time to
bother with CentOS 4. But willingness to deal with such an out of date
OS vary, so i don't begrudge you the work for CentOS 4. Just be
warned: for such an OS, the dependency hell is going nto get worse and
worse and worse, so I personally urge you to consider upgrading.

Has anyone attended an RHEL roadmap meeting? Does anyone have a
realistic release date for RHEL 6? It's really getting out of hand
maintaining so many dependencies in RPMforge and EPEL.....