[suggest] Newer driver version in dkms-nvidia-x11-drv?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 16:38:11 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:
>
>> Apart from that, I notice that kmod-nvidia doesn't quite have the latest and
>> greatest release, either, although it's newer than the dkms-nvidia one.
>> Maybe it's new enough for my purpose, but I'm not able to test right now. -
>> I need an updated driver only for a specific card/adapter/monitor combo on a
>> different machine; the "old" dkms release otherwise works just fine...
>
> You can find the latest and greatest release from ELRepo. Currently,
> that latest and greatest version (256.35) is in elrepo-testing. It
> will be promoted to the main repo shortly unless some problem is
> identified.
>
> Testing the stuff in the testing repo is strongly encouraged. More
> testers, the faster the release.  :-)
>
> Akemi

I actually meant to post to the list rather than a PM...

Some amazing story... Phil Perry, who maintains the kmod-nvidia
package put the latest 256.35 into the testing repo within half an
hour of the release by Nvidia.  This was possible because Nvidia had
this version as a release candidate and Phil had already packaged it
and we went through internal testing. As soon as he saw Nvidia making
it an official version, he published it and sent out the announcement
to the ELRepo M/L.

So, if you with to be current with ELRepo, please join the ELRepo mailing list.

Akemi