[users] Version control at RPMForge

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Jun 4 09:36:07 CEST 2010

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

> I just want to share something that came to my mind. I am definitively
> tired of waiting for 5-10 minutes for my local svn checkout to update.
> By contrast, I've been using git for version control on some other
> projects and it's proved to be crazy fast, way much faster the svn in
> this respect.

Yes, I want git too !

> For the reason that we don't have any special SCM workflow other than
> just doing svn update / svn commit all the time, I think that the
> migration to git will not actually influence anyone in any way other
> than use git pull / git commit / git push instead (well, you can create
> an alias to merge the latter two into a single command).
>
> I think I can create a git mirror of the current svn repository and
> publish it for anyone to use / try to use it with git-svn bridge for
> some time. If it proves itself drastically quicker than svn maybe we can
> consider a migration.
>
> I don't have a host (big enough) for it though ATM. If anyone is willing
> to provide me with a small VM to this end this would be very welcome.

It shouldn't be hard to move to git, but we have to first make sure that
everyone knows how to use git (I haven't used it myself either) and
convert the current data to git so we retain the versioning history.

I can use the system at Hetzner for this, which is a KVM host with a few
guests. Later we can migrate it to somewhere else.