[users] Version control at RPMForge

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Jun 4 11:56:51 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 11:23 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Since Matthias, who owns the rpmforge.net domain doesn't want us to use it
> and since I don't believe rpmrepo is going anywhere I needed a new domain
> name, which I registered as repoforge.org (close enough to RPMforge, and
> we can keep the rf tag) so we can finally have a proper name for the
> repository location, for mirrors, and other infrastructure.

You know, unfortunately I didn't / was unable to follow IRC or private
discussions, so I really have no slightest clue on the politics behind
RPMForge, rpmrepo and whatnot as well what are the reasons why someone
is holding others back. Maybe someone should try to write up a
quasi-neutral recap for the rest of us even if it's gonna hurt? At least
we all can learn something from it.

A recent story comes to my mind where problems have been been kept in a
closed circle for too long and this resulted in open letters, confusion
and FUD.

As for going forward, let's just make a decision. Dump everything and
start from scratch learning from previous errors? Repoforge? OK with me.
Let's register a domain, set up a KVM instance with Trac to use it as a
wiki / bugzilla and the others will take it from there.

Then we can schedule meetings, post logs on the wiki, announce the
fundraiser, consider the migration to a new buildhost etc.

Finally, it will get going somewhere...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev