[suggest] Recent changes to RPMforge

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar at redpill-linpro.com
Fri Nov 26 13:27:02 CET 2010

* Dag Wieers
> RPMforge is a third-party repository for RHEL, CentOS and Scientific
> Linux. It provides add-on RPM packages that increase functionality and
> productivity for both Server and Desktop based environments. (...)

>   = RPMforge now consists of more than one repository:
>
>       + rpmforge - packages that _do not_ replace base packages
>                    (eg. nagios, wine, vlc, xine, mpg123, ...)
>       + rpmforge-extras - newer packages that _do_ replace base packages
>                           (eg. lftp, rsync, subversion, ...)
>       + rpmforge-testing - alternative test packages
>                            (eg. wine-1.3.x, ...)
>       + rpmforge-buildtools - packages required for building RPMforge pkgs
>                               (eg. bison, make, rpm-macros-rpmforge, ...)
>
>     For convenience, packages belonging to one of the above repositories
>     are tagged respectively with rf, rfx, rft and rfb distribution tags.

First: This is GREAT news. Thank you so much.

Second: This may be a FAQ, but anyway; will there be much overlap
between rpmforge and epel, or will you try to avoid parallell work by
skip packages that exists in epel? (In short: Is it a goal to make
rpmforge and epel more compatible?)

(I may ask the same question about the centos repos, but we can let that
be for now.)

Ingvar